Summertime and the livin' is easy



Hi all,


It's been 10 weeks since I started my FMT treatments at Taymount and I wanted to give everyone an update on where I'm at. Mainly, my symptoms are pretty much the same as before I left (which is not stellar, especially considering that I'm still on steroids and whole slew of other meds and supplements). I spoke to Taymount's lovely and knowledgable Patient Liaison on the phone the other day for some guidance and she reminded me that there is so much unknown about how each individual will respond and there are no definitive timelines.

This is really hard for me- the not knowing. In some ways it's still early (many people respond between 3-6 months), so it continues to be a true exercise of relaxing into the unknown and living in the present. I'm not sure how others handle living in the present and planning for the future, but for me, I'm realizing that being present in this moment can include considering the future. Instead of following my mind's winding what-if pathways (which just gets me worked up), it's best for me to come up with some future dates and when that time comes I will reassess where I'm at and take steps from there.

The Patient Liaison also reminded me that the best things I can do are maintain a healthy diet, lead a low stress lifestyle, and continue my at-home treatments. Summer is perfect for all of these things! I've been able to catch up on sleep, have more leisurely home-cooked meals, and exercise more regularly. I've used the last of my fundraising money to sign up for a mindfulness course and purchase additional 'top up' FMTs. I'm about half-way through the 8 week Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction course and it's been a fantastic experience so far. It's been really good to prioritize just being and not striving to achieve. I'm also doing my own FMTs about 1x per week until October when I run out. I've done 3 so far and I just did my first solo treatment today, so I'm feeling proud about that!

These last few months have been a series of ups and downs and lots of mixed emotions. Sometimes I feel like I'm in a holding place and other times I feel lucky to be as able as I am. Every day I clutch my belly in pain, but every day I'm also reminded that there are larger injustices and suffering all around us. I look at your cards and think about your messages regularly; it really helps knowing that I have such a strong support network, and it helps knowing that there is so much good in the world.

Love you all!
Steph





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Going Without my Gut and Still on a Journey to Wellness :)

Getting there

First Post