Meet Lilo & Stitch



Note: I'm doing my best to keep down the gross factor in these posts, but this one might not be one to read during a lunch break!

I had my first post-surgery follow up doctor's appointment yesterday and I got a good report! The staff were happy with the quality and quantity of my poo and I don't have to measure the amount anymore! This was not my favorite task and I feel like I'm moving up in the world! I'm also slowly gaining some weight back (maybe due to my amazing food options, ha), so that is good too. 

My biggest challenges so far have been some peeing issues (this is improving, but more on that another day) and irritation around my stoma (ostomy). A stoma is "an opening on the surface of the abdomen which has been surgically created to divert the flow of feces or urine," and if you want to know more this website has very easy to understand information (without gross pictures!). I have a temporary ileostomy, so basically a part of my small intestine was brought to the outside of my body and I wear a pouch over the opening to catch the stool (yes, I am a marsupial now). I'll have my stoma for a couple of months until the reversal surgery. 
Image result for kangaroo emoji

There's a huge learning curve with having an ostomy, but I'm definitely getting used to the basics of how to empty and change my pouch. Unfortunately, it hasn't been totally smooth sailing. I've had a few leaky pouch incidents and this has caused a lot of irritation around my stoma site.  It's probably like having terrible diaper rash, but on the belly. Since everyone's stoma has a unique shape and size, the trick is finding the right pouch and additional barrier materials to fit the individual. I'm small and short-waisted with sensitive skin, but the ostomy nurses are very helpful and we have tried lots of pouches! They gave me a new pouch to try yesterday with a more flexible material that is supposed to fit the contours of the body. No leaks yet, fingers crossed! 

Anyway, some people name their stomas, and I liked this idea because a stoma is little bit like a pet attached to you with a personality of her own. I named mine Lilo. The first time I saw my stoma with the bag attached to it it reminded me of a pineapple slice with a cherry in the middle. Pineapples made me think of Hawaii and that brought me to Disney's Lilo & Stitch. I already had the stitches, so all that was left was Lilo!

I found a great youtube channel with videos to help me learn about life with an ostomy and there are tons of other resources out there too. I'm trying to get outside every day and feeling stronger and faster. Mostly it feels good to relax and let my body heal, so I'm trying to do as much of that as possible. Thanks for all the continued messages and good wishes. xoxo








Comments

  1. Lilo! and Stich! You are hilarious, Steph.
    I assume the nurses are giving you awesome medications for your skin irritation, but if not, I wanted to recommend a few that we've liked:
    http://www.kellyscloset.com/Angel-Baby-Bottom-Balm-2-oz-_p_5025.html
    http://www.kellyscloset.com/CJs-BUTTer-6-oz-Pot_p_5858.html
    I have also heard good things about https://www.amazon.com/Boudreauxs-Butt-Paste-Ointment-Original/dp/B001190D5Q?th=1 , though we haven't tried it because it isn't good for cloth diapers (the oils make the cotton diapers not absorb anymore).
    Good luck and happy eating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Zach! For now I have special stuff from the nurses but I'll ask about the other ointments! Glad to give you a chuckle :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Going Without my Gut and Still on a Journey to Wellness :)

Getting there

First Post