The Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Week

I was going to wait to write a more upbeat blog post, but I realized it's okay to share the difficult stuff while it's happening and maybe it will help to get a little extra TLC from everyone!

I was discharged from the hospital on Saturday and have been steadily recovering from surgery at my parents' house. At first when I arrived I was confronted with my new reality-- I was back home, but with different capabilities.  For instance, it was frustrating to have a hard time sitting up or getting comfortable to fall asleep when I had mastered those things before my unplanned hospitalization. Fortunately, each day I have been regaining some of my strength. I needed some powerful pain meds for a couple of days, but now I'm down to Tylenol. My belly is no longer distended and the lap sites seem to be healing just fine.

I thought the hospitalization was a trying situation, but this week has continued to challenge me. First, I had a partial food blockage. On Tuesday I began having sharp pains again, but in a different location, near the stoma. I wasn't getting any output from Lilo and I was starting to freak out. I really didn't want to go back to the hospital when I just came home. Then, to top it all off, that same day my mom and I both received a special gift from the hospital: a terrible, horrible virus.

We're both still suffering/recovering, but this week has really sucked, for lack of a better word. I think this virus has been going around, so a lot of you know how it slams you with fevers and chills and aches and pains and sneezing and coughing. Every time I cough my poor sutures scream at me. One good thing is that my partial blockage resolved itself with tea and liquids- thank goodness!!! Honestly, I don't know if I could go in for another procedure right now, I feel pretty defeated and constantly ready for a nap.

Lots of gratitude to my dad who has been a fantastic nurse to both my mom and me. It has made everything so much easier having live-in support. He is enjoying our 8pm bedtimes when he can be off duty, watch tv, and relax. It's a lot like being a parent of a baby. I guess even if your kid is 32, you never stop being a parent.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Going Without my Gut and Still on a Journey to Wellness :)

Getting there

First Post